Friday, January 20, 2012

How to Flow with Frustration when Life Sends Snow

This is a frustrating morning. My town is blanketed with heavy-wet snow, which is breaking power lines. A quarter of a million people in my region are without power.  I've lost my electricity and internet connection several times already and it's not even 930 am as I start this post.

You could say it's a day that's ripe for overflowing with frustration.

And that got me thinking:  days like this happen to you too.   What if we could flow, not over flow, with it instead? What would have to happen?

Well, we'd have to become immediately detached from outcome.  We'd have to give up worrying  -- today I'll have to give up the worry that the webinar I'm scheduled to present this afternoon won't go on.  We'd have to be ok with not finishing the seemingly important tasks we're engaged in. I'll have to be ok with losing this blog post.

And I'd have to hurry up and take that shower while there's still hot water, and run a load of laundry in case I turn into a refugee from a powerless freezing condo, and double check that credit cards are in my wallet and not on the computer stand, and get my phone and iPod charged, and...and....and...

What's on your hurry up list?

Hmm, wait a second.... going into worst case scenario  / emergency preparedness mode is just another form of overflow.

So close eyes. Deep breath. Ground energy.  Ah, that's better.

Flowing is taking whatever happens as it comes.  It's trusting that all will ultimately be okay, and that we can handle whatever comes up.

This isn't a passive acceptance.  Trusting and not resisting the direction life goes today is hard work. It's a constant struggle to surrender your will to the unstoppable forces around you and stay in the belief that you won't be irreparably harmed by it.  Changed maybe, yes.  But that's a different thing.

Flowing is knowing that the Universe may have different plans for you today than the plan you'd scheduled weeks ago. Flowing is meeting the day with curiosity instead of fear-tinged frustration.

I can do this.  So can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment